Every summer my husband and I have this fabulous tradition where we swap books and we each pick out a book that the other person HAS to read. It really forces you to go out of your comfort zone and provides great topics of conversations as we read through the books.
Here are the books he’s made me read:
- Your Inner Fish (tracing man’s evolution to the first fish with limbs)
- Altas Shrugged (I guess you could call it a “capitalist manifesto”)
- Man’s Search for Meaning (a psychiatrist’s memoir of his time in various concentration camps during the Holocaust)
- The Genie in the Bottle (the chemistry of everyday life)
- The Hot Zone (the first emergence of the Ebola virus in the 90’s)
Here are the books I’ve made him read:
- The Handmaid’s Tale (Christian-based dystopian future that restricts female sexuality)
- In the Name the Rose (medieval murder mystery with a monk detective)
- Slow Food: The Case for Taste (the origin and importance of the slow food movement in Italy)
- La Bella Lingua (one woman’s adventure learning and falling in love with Italian language and culture)
- A Wrinkle in Time (sci-fi fantasy children’s novel)
- The Count of Monte Cristo (a long tale of love and revenge in early 19th century France)
Think about starting your own swap with family, friends, or loved ones!