This post is a teaser. First off, I did so much stuff in Rome I can barely wrap my head around it. I should note that I came to Rome 2 years ago when I studied abroad and I am coming back with William, so you will not see some of the big “obvious” Roman sites. Although, I think I did more than any sane person should do. That being said, before I can get into the meat of it (over a few blog posts) I would like to demonstrate, via a list, everything I did.
Note: I did not set out to do this much in Rome because that would be crazy! It just happened.
Second note: I am not including how much everything cost because I spent wayyy too much on museums this weekend. I am shameful and proud at the same time.
- Found my hostel and checked in (very important!)
- Santa Maria degli Angeli
- Piazza del Popolo & Santa Maria del Popolo
- Ara Pacis & Gemme dell’Impressionismo exhibit
- Castel Sant’Angelo
- Foro Romano, Trajan’s Market & Column
- Santa Maria della Vittoria
- Capuchin crypt
- Santa Maria Maggiore
- San Pietro in Vincoli
- Circo Maximus
- Santa Maria in Cosmedin, Bocca della Verità, Temple of Portunus (Fortuna Virilis) & Temple of Vesta (they’re all together but distinctly separate)
- Jewish ghetto (for lunch)
- Portica d’Ottavia
- San Giovanni Laterano
- Tried to walk to the catacombs: epic fail (will describe later)
- Galleria Borghese & gardens
- Capitoline Museum
- Palazzo Barberini
- Catacombs of St. Callixtus
- Palazzo Massimo
- 6:30 pm train home
I don’t exactly suggest this itinerary for anyone: I’m young, I like art and history, I’m alone, and I walk fast.